* Over a 15-month period, 82 newborn babies were found abandoned on the streets of Mexico City, 27 of them lifeless. --El Universal, Mexico
* Studies of caves in two national parks in California, U.S.A., have yielded 27 new animal species. "This just confirms how little we know about the world around us," says Joel Despain, a cave specialist for the National Park Service. -- Smithsonian. U.S.A.
* Twenty percent of the world's population lack potable water. Forty percent lack basic sanitary systems. -- Milenio, Mexico.
* Poachers kill between 20,000 and 30,000 animals per year in the Serengeti National Park alone. -- The Daily News, Tanzania.
* Studies carried out in Barcelona, Spain, reveal the 1 out of every 3 students aged 16 smokes cannabis rgularly. -- La Vanguardia, Spain.