Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Houdini The Bestest Cat!



Yesterday I promised to post of pictures of Houdini after his visit to the Salon to get a Lion Cut. All did not go as expected and it is a very long story. The pictures of him after his cut are near the bottom of this post. You have have to rifle through all the other photos I have of him as well, along with a poem I found that pays tribute to Houdini since today he had to be put down due to a genital birth defect that was brought to fore after yesterdays excursion.



I really can't tell you what happened to him on the trip to the salon or what happened to him after he was dropped off that caused this birth defect to occur now. I was not there, I went with hubby to pick him up and that is when I was told about his problem. I thought he was just angry, scared or stressed out. This was his second clipping and he sure did not act this way after the first or he would never have been subjected to it a second time.

This morning, after watching him lay around all night lethargic, (visions and memories of Fat Cat stirring in my mind) we headed to the vet about 9 AM when the office opened. I did not make an appointment as I felt it was an emergency. The vet examined him and said all his vitals were laying on top of each other and may have been that way since birth (no previous x-rays had ever been taken) or they may have shifted yesterday with any jarring. But he doubted that very much. Surgery was not financially possible for us on fixed incomes, (over $4,000.00) and no promise of success. The other two options were to take him home and watch him suffer this way while we HOPED that things would shift back to normal or to have him put down. He had a hole in his diaphragm that could be closed by the surgery but that was not going to help things shift back. And if they performed this shifting back of organs there was no guarantee that they would stay that way.

I was at a cross roads again, between a rock and a hard place. What way should I go. I am not cold hearted enough to watch him suffer. I can't afford the surgery. That left the one decision that started the heartbreak and tears to flow.

So, there is no more Houdini and I don't think, at this time, that I want another cat and have to go through this process a third time. It is hard! Only those who have been there can know just how hard it is to think that you are the one that makes the decision of life or death for a member of the family that you love dearly, just as you would a human.

I am sorry that I have shared this awful story with you all but I needed to put it all down to ease my hurt. Please forgive me for that.


TO MY CAT
Roy Burton

My cat, my dear and gentle friend,
As you lay sleeping quietly,
I think of all the times we spend
In true and happy company.
How I delight my life to share
With you, so loyal and dignified,
Sublime reward beyond compare,
Just to see you by my side.



Dear cat, how full of grace you are,
As near perfection as could be,
Most elegant of life’s gifts by far,
Proportioned in pure symmetry.
Yet your placid form does hide
A supple strength and gallant heart,
You are, it cannot be denied
Nature’s finest work of art.



How much joy you bring to me,
Like sunshine to a winter’s day,
What greater pleasure can there be
Than to watch you as you play.
When troubles seem to grow apace
I tell you of my fears and pain,
You rub your head against my face,
And suddenly, all is well again.



In the private world that’s all your own
You have no thoughts of greed or spite,
Nor waste your time to weep and moan
Of things that do not seem just right.
I look at you with grateful heart,
As in the fire’s warm glow you lie,
The simple joys that you impart,
No money on this earth could buy.



Oh, my dear friend, when you are gone,
Such sadness will be hard to bear,
The rooms so empty, days so long,
When you are no longer there.
But you, sweet cat, you cannot know
That final parting brings such pain,
When fate at last deals that cruel blow,
And I cannot hold you tight again.



My cat, my dear and gentle friend,
As you lay sleeping quietly,
I thank you for the time we spend
In true and happy company.
How I delight my life to share
With you, so loyal and dignified,
Blessed am I with riches rare,
When I have you by my side.


13 comments:

Wendy said...

My heart goes out to you....It is such a hard decision to make..knowing it is for the best for him, but then wanting to hold on to him also....I too have had to do it twice...and to think I have 3 animals here that I may have to make that decision for again....Wish I was there to give you a big hug and a soft but strong shoulder to comfort you....

Scarlet said...

Sis I love you so much and hate to see you grieve. Houdini was a lucky kitty to have such a wonderful mommy. You took such good care of him and I know that he loved you for that.

I pray that you are able to find some peace in knowing that he is not suffering any longer. Maybe he was suffering long before it was noticed. I love you and have you in my thoughts always.

Crochet Princess Beth said...

I was so sorry to hear of your loss. Pets have a way to really pull your heart strings. Remember the good times and the funny ones too, they will get you thru! Bunches of hugs!

Cherri said...

I'm so so sorry for your loss. I've had to make that decision, too, and it's a terrible thing to go through. Ghost, I really wish there were something I could do to ease the hurt. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Luv & hugs,
Cherri

Bunny said...

Oh Ghost! I am so sorry you had to go through this. My heart goes out to you and your family. What a beautiful poem for a beautiful cat.
It was just recently I went through this with Sasha. It has to be the hardest thing we ever have to do.
Please feel the hugs that I send to you today or whenever you feel the need to have one.

Angelika@ Purple Sage Designz said...

I am so sorry. I know how you must feel.
Many years ago my cat Minka had to be put down because there was no cure for her disease and she was deteriorating rapidly and suffering at the end, we just have to believe they entered a better place. Pets become so much more than just cats or dogs, they are the sweetest most loyal friends.

June said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Houdini. You did the right thing. He looked so much like my Boo, she went suddenly, too. I grieve with you.

THIS AND THAT said...

I am truly sorry for your loss - he was a beautiful cat. I know that feeling all too well, losing 2 of my own within a short span of 2 months apart. Be strong - the hurt is ver hard, but you did the right thing. He is no longer suffering (and you with him). My thoughts and my prayers are with you in this difficult time. And yes, it helps to talk about it - they are members of our family.

Therese said...

Ghost, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. He was such a beautiful cat. I think you made the right decision also, as hard as it was.
I had to make a decision like that for my dog, Lauren. It is very hard. I also send lots of hugs to you.
Take care God bless you.
Therese

Sandie said...

Oh, I'm so very sorry! How terrible and with no warning to lose a treasured friend. I know how tough a decision it was and your heart aches. I will be thinking of you and your hubby as you deal with this sad loss. Hugs!

Susan said...

how sad about Houdini! what a loss
of such a pretty cat! black cats
have such glossy fur and pretty eyes!
it is real hard to say goodbye to
a beloved pet!

Cindy said...

I am sorry for your loss. It is always hard to lose a family member, whether furry or human!

Tina said...

I am so sorry about Houdini. We had to put a dog to sleep once. *Hugs*