Sunday, September 26, 2010

Bernat CAL & Shawl

The first week clues are out for the Bernat CAL Afghan. To find out more about this project you can go to: http://bernat.com/CAL2010intro/

I don't think I will be participating fully, but will be making the squares and assembling the afghan. I think it is going to be fun. I love CAL's anyway. I have decided to do mine in Vanna's Choice yarns and have started out with Dusty Green. I am also making the second square with I Love This Yarn, (and I sure do), in Mid Green. It is the same weight and has the same feel as Vanna's Choice. I am using a "J" hook.

I enjoyed the squares this week. They were quite simple and worked up quickly. I like how they look though and I am anxiously awaiting next Wednesdays' offerings. I am not an entered member of this afghan, so therefore won't be entering any photos on the Bernat site. So, if you want to see how I am doing you will have to check here to see my progress. So many people I know are making this afghan and I sure will be watching those I know, as they work their magic.

Also, I have entered a photo here of the start of my shawl. It is a Lion Brand pattern and you can find it here: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/cwes-diagonalShawl.html
I am making it with Aztec, by Red Heart in the color Passion. For this project I have decided to use a "J" hook also and instead of a sc I am using a hdc instead. I have completed three rows at this point.


OH, and if you have followed me before you know that I always make adjustments to a pattern, or almost always, I am sorry to the designers for this but I can't seem to help myself. This time I changed the diagonal fpdc to a straight line fpdc. Here is what I have done so far, with seven rows:The color looks different, I think it is the intensity of the light. The color is the same in both photos. What is difficult to see is the FPDC in the pattern. I tried to make the photo larger thinking that might help but it didn't. At this point I have used two 3oz skeins of yarn only.

Ghost, OUT!

3 comments:

becky said...

I too am doing the CAL with Bernat. I opted to use the suggested colors and I'm not to great at choosing my own! I luv the yarn for your shawl, it's beautiful! Will check in with you for your updates!

Pammy Sue said...

Yay! Somebody else who is doing the Bernat CAL! I'm not posting on their site either. I'm just going to post pictures on my blog. Glad you are doing it too. Becky was the only other one I knew of.

Nice start on the shawl. Can't wait to see it finished.

Sandy said...

Love the aztec, very pretty. I've never participated in a CAL, maybe one of these days.